Audio Intelligibility Testing

November 12, 2010

Q: I have a project requiring audio intelligibility testing for a fire/evac system. What do I need for that?

A: You need the proper test equipment and the training to perform the tests. There is a complete testing procedure for this. If you’ve never done one, I suggest calling NSCA and getting the contact name of a third-party verification firm. In some cases, the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) will require third-party verification anyway. Independent consulting firms and specialty companies are starting to emerge specifically for these performance verifications. You can also go to to do more research on the testing protocol. This will become a very big deal in the next few years as the 2010 NEC (NFPA 72) code gets adopted across the country. My advice is to be aware of the changes and how they will affect your business. This new code is a “game-changer” for our members. — CW

Member Access