For this 2020 Pivot to Profit Virtual (P2Pv) session, NSCA’s Chuck Wilson leads a discussion on how emerging IoT and Power over Ethernet technologies spawn proposed legislation that could threaten integrators’ businesses — and what the Connected Technologies Industry Consortium is doing about it.
2020 P2Pv Presenters:
- Chuck Wilson, Executive Director, NSCA
- Joseph Lee, Senior Manager, State and Local Government Affairs, Cisco
- Ron Tellas, Technology and Applications Manager, Belden
- John H. Daniels, Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer, BICSI
The low-voltage industry, including your company, is being targeted by business-crushing legislation. During the 2020 Pivot to Profit Virtual (2020 P2Pv) event, the Connected Technologies Industry Consortium, comprised of 15+ global trade organizations and industry leaders, presented the challenges and opportunities for integrators in the rapidly changing world of innovation.
Must-See Webinar: How to Combat Business-Crushing Legislation (Register Now)
Many states are pushing laws that will limit your ability to legally do work you’re likely qualified to do. Emerging innovations, such as 5G, IP-enabled building automation, PoE lighting, and other IoT applications, could either disrupt your current business or enable more opportunity.
3 Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Legislation:
- What are the current state and federal legislative trends I need to be concerned about today?
- Why should systems integrators be concerned about these trends? (How will they affect our industry and profession)?
- What can I do to educate legislators about these concerns?
Legislation and Regulation Trends Impacting the Industry:
- Importance of PoE and low-voltage lighting
- Class 2 and Class 3 power-limited circuits licenses (or exemptions)
- Representation on NEC Code-Making Panel No. 3 (Article 725)
- Establishing “integrator” as an occupational title for the industry
Challenges coming to the forefront include standards, privacy concerns, untested user interfaces, public safety, cyber concerns, and risk elevation. Watch the entire session to understand what’s at stake for your business — and what actions you can take.